Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Word Study Wednesday - Anger

"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. ~~Ephesians 4:26-27 NIV

Does this passage mean we cannot be angry? Many references in the Bible reveal God’s righteous anger. Jesus demonstrated anger when He cleansed the Temple. (Matt. 21:12-13) Jesus never sinned. However, we all have sinned and fall short. (Rom. 3:23)

Aristotle wrote, “Anyone can become angry but to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way—this is not easy.” Perhaps we can be mad and not sin.

We feel anger as it is an emotion. Sometimes we just like being mad. Perhaps it makes us feel as though we have control and power over a situation. In country singer Teri Clark’s song, “I Just Wanna Be Mad,” she declares in the chorus:

“I’ll never leave, I’ll never stray.
My love for you will never change.
But I ain’t ready to make up.
Well get around to that.
I think I’m right, I think you’re wrong.
I’ll probably give in before long.
Please don’t make me smile.
I just wanna be mad for a while.”

Perhaps as a woman, we think our man will come to his senses. Hello! He’s a man, created by God. And as I’ve heard Beth Moore proclaim, she wouldn’t want her man to be like her girlfriends. We don’t need a girlfriend in our home that will go along with us all the time. We need our man to be who God made him to be—the priest of our homes.

The danger in Clark’s song is that if we stay mad too long, we can give the devil an open opportunity to cause us to sin. Sin will be crouching at our door waiting for us as it did for Cain. If we dwell on the anger long enough, we will open the door and we fall into the enemy’s snare. Anger may be an emotion, but sin is a choice.

The Bible Exposition Commentary states, “Satan hates God and God’s people, and when he finds a believer with the sparks of anger in his heart, he fans those sparks, adds fuel to the fire, and does a great deal of damage to God’s people and God’s church. Both lying and anger ‘give peace to the devil’ (Eph. 4:27).”

Let’s not make excuses for sin that rises from anger. Let’s repent quickly. First John 1:9 tells us that if we will confess our sins, the Lord will be faithful to forgive us of our sins. Then let’s obey the Word. Some examples are:

Search your hearts and be silent. (Psalm 4:4)

Give a gentle answer. (Proverbs 15:1)

Let’s stay close to the Lord and not sin in our anger.

Engrafted by His Grace--

8 gracious comments:

Kindred Heart Writers said...

I like your word study format and your thoughts of wisdom. Thanks for checking out our blog and enjoy getting to know your through twitter. Jean Wise

Michelle V said...

Shonda,

Very good lesson! It's something I continually work on, especially when I'm driving! :(

Blessings
Michelle

Jennifer said...

Thank you for your encouragement. I can't help but think that we may be closer to it than we think (especially with the currnet political climate.)

Anger can be such a problem. It is very hard not to sin in this area.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Shonda!!

(((Hugz))) It was so good to see you today!! I have missed you and I know we cannot always keep up with so many blogs but it's good to know that we are just a click away from one another. Ths post is my testimony, I had so much anger growing up and coming from a dysfunctional family where anger just seemed to be present all the time. But once the Lord became a part of my life I had to own up to my own anger and actions, and stop using how I grew up as an excuse to continue on. It's such a blessing to be freed from that awful spirit of
anger.

hugz Lorie

Lisa Smith said...

I would so much rather be wrong than mad! Even though my heart says that sometimes I have to make the choice again and again!!

Girl, I so, so wish you where there yesterday...one day soon we will meet!! And, you should call me sometime. I loved talking with Annette...surprise me!

Van said...

Anger is a good topic. When I learned that anger is a result of fear or lack of control I began to understand the emotion a bit better. I asked God to give me a more constructive emotion.

Angela Baylis said...

I loved how you put that..."Anger may be an emotion, but sin is a choice". Thanks for this post today. Me mad? Never... haha.
Choosing not to give the devil a foothold!
Love,
Angie xoxo

marina said...

coming by to say hi! I am sorry I miss your call the other night everyone been sick at my home. love, marina