Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Word Study Wednesday

"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star." ~~Revelation 22:16 NIV

Jesus said He is the Root and Offspring of David. Jesus is the Root.

In the Greek the word Root is Rhiza which literally means root. Rhiza is the root word for rhizome in the English language to describe a particular type of root.

A rhizome is defined as:

n. A horizontal, usually underground stem that often sends out roots and shoots from its nodes. Also called rootstalk, rootstock.[i]

When I pictured a root, I thought of a root growing down into the soil, which some plants do. A rhizome root grows horizontally under the ground with shoots and roots growing from the horizontal root. Examples of plants with rhizomes are the Lily of the Valley, St. Augustine’s grass, the fern and bamboo. These types of plants grow in clusters and are typically invasive.

Jesus is the Root, a Rhiza, a rhizome. He is firmly planted by His Father. As believers, we are grafted into the Root and grow in clusters. We’re meant to be part of the body. We're connected by the Root. That's why we can rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn. We have connection. Let’s be firmly planted and fully engrafted to the Root!

Engrafted by His Grace--



[i] rhizome. Dictionary.com. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rhizome (accessed: November 12, 2008).

Photo, encyclopedia.com/topic/rhizome.aspx

8 gracious comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

That's a beautiful picture, Shonda! And you know what that picture brought into my mind?

How He is the root going across instead of up and down...He already made the vertical motion by stepping out of heaven, even to below the earth into a grave!

And on earth He was the root across, connecting all believers...making the shape of a Cross!

I love God's Word and how many different pictures and symbolisms there are. So exciting!

Thanks for the insight!

Angela said...

I love how there is ALWAYS more to learn in God's word. How does God do it?

Michelle V said...

What a wonderful picture! Thank you so much!

Blessings
Michelle

Lavonda Pflug said...

Johnson grass grows the same way and that stuff is invasive, let me tell ya! Ya can't pull it up, ya can't dig it up, ya can't git rid of it. Firmly planted? Oh you better believe it! Thanks for helping me find joy in even johnson grass. Next time I'm trying to dig the stuff out I'll rmember that my Lord can't be gotten rid of either! PTL!!

Cherdecor said...

I like the word invasive! AND doing it together.

Great post!!!!!!!

Leah Adams said...

What great thoughts!! I love word studies and digging into the meaning of a word from the original text of The Word!! Hope you are doing well.

Leah

Lisa Smith said...

Shonda--I don't know how I've missed all these posts!! I love the one about your adult-teen son. Love it! I love your mother's heart. I think I am looking forward to being done with at least one of mine, the one they had to rewrite the books about...I have no advice but I will pray!

We also survived football season, so glad it's over!!

I do love the root picture...something I too have pondered lately.

Blessings today!

Starla said...

AMEN!!!