Friday, September 19, 2008

My Angel

The other night I took a good dose of night-time, make ya sleep good, wake up feeling well medicine to relieve my aching head and congested chest. After about three hours of not feeling anything slumber, I woke to the sound of my office door opening. My office is off the master bedroom which you must enter to reach it. I heard the chair roll across the concrete floor and my keys rattle on the desk. I open my eyes to look across the room. Just a hint of the outside light sneaking through the cracks in the blinds is not enough to see. Not having x-ray vision, I saw no one.

I called out in to the dark, “Who's there?” Suddenly the noise stopped. Nothing moved, except my accelerating heart beat. Again, “Who's there?” No response. Silence.

Stuck to my bed not wanting to confront any fears I tried to analyze the situation. I quickly played through the files in my mind on what to do in emergency situations. My cell phone was on the office desk. That’s not an option.

Sitting up on my elbows I called out, “Stephen!” I rationalized my adult son came home late from work and is looking for something in my office trying not to wake me up.

No response.

Then in my angrier, authoritative tone I screamed, “STEPHEN!”

Immediately I heard, “Whaaaaaaaaatt?” Having the mother echolocation abilities, I identified immediately he was not in the office, but awake in his room. If he were sleeping, I would not have heard any type of response. A train crashing into our home would not inhibit his sleeping abilities.

So I hollered out, still sitting up on my elbows on my bed, “Come here!”

In an UNusual adult teen response, he came at once. His adult size frame could take on who ever was inside my office. Not something I could do in my partially, over the counter medically induced coma state. He stepped in and turned on the light momentarily blinding me. Pointing to the office door, I exhaled the words, “Someone’s in the office!”

He jumped, turned, and pushed open the doors the rest of the way. I explained, “I heard the chair move across the floor and my car keys were moved.” He flipped on the light and…

Laughed!

Yes, he laughed. His laughter caused the tension I was unaware I held in my neck and shoulders leave my already aching body.

He said, “It’s Angel. She jumped upon the chair causing it to roll. Then she jumped on your desk pushing your keys over. She’s just laying down here.”

Angel. My Angel. Nocturnal creature—my cat.

Stephen turned to me and asked, “Why are you sweating?”

“Uh, I’m sick. I must have a fever.” I’m thinking, hormonal night sweats. But boy you better not even mention fear. He knew it though.

Conceding, I continued, “Thanks responding to this damsel in distress. You’re a hero!”

Our mind has an ability to perceive something that is not real causing great fear. Now grant it, if this situation were a real intruder in my home, fear would have been the proper response to react defensively. But most situations that cause fear are false perceptions that detract us from our purpose. Perhaps that’s why we’re told in God’s word to not fear. Whatever trials or situations we face, we have God’s power by the Holy Spirit to enable us to persevere.

2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.


Engrafted by His Grace--

12 gracious comments:

Leah Adams said...

Sister, I would have had my pump shotgun out from under my bed ready to fill somebody full of lead!! Good grief, I got all worked up just reading about your experience. Get a gun, for heaven's sake!! I never am without mine!!

Leah

Cherdecor said...

You had me goin' there for a while. I was sure it was an intruder, then he ran out the back door!

SIGH! I am so glad that it only was your cat! I don't know if I am going to be able to sleep tonight! Ha! Ha!

marine's words said...

you got me girl could not wait to get to the end of the story to see what it was ") you cat ")) !!
marina

connie said...

Shonda,
I want to thank you for telling us this story, I find refuge in knkowing that the Lord is there to calm my fears... You are in my prayers...
Connie
GBU

Nicole said...

Your cat is adorable but sure caused lots of fear. You got me going good too. Sweet dreams tonight!:) Ha Ha!

Love,
Nicole

Alene said...

Oh my - my heart was pounding reading this! My mind often plays tricks on me, especially when creepy things start to happen. Sure makes you realize how powerful the mind is to conceive untruths. FEAR False Evidense Appearing Real. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see you!

DeeDee said...

OH me... my heart too was pounding as I read -

I am adding my name to your followers list - come and join me too -
This is a fun new feature of blogger.
Blessings to you!
DeeDee

Abba's Girl said...

I am laughing so hard. About a month ago at 3am I heard glass breaking in the kitchen. I thought well my husband is out of town, 1 dog is snoring in bed, should I go to back to sleep or get up and check it out. It was my other dog Penny trying to get a loaf of bread off the counter, she knocked my coffee press off the counter and it shattered. Thankfully I was able to replace it before Ike hit and had coffee last Sat.

Fran said...

Ok...I'm thinking robber. Whew!
Glad all was ok in the end.

Hope y'all are feeling better over there.
Hugs,
Fran

Anonymous said...

That is too good, Shonda. And as for the Scripture, well, I'm still waiting on the sound mind part, but I'm believing Him for it! I love ya. Annette

Mom of Many said...

That is a funny story and yet so insightful with a lesson involved. I love it when God uses my cat, or any animal, to teach me a lesson. I can't wait for my sons to be that big - to defend me if needed. ; ) Thanks for reminding me I have nothing to fear if I am with God.
Melissa

Michelle V said...

Angel is so pretty! I can so relate to that story! I've been there! I have two cats and two boys and I've had similar instances!

blessings
Michelle