Monday, September 14, 2009

Overwhelmed?

“. . .When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Psalm 61:2, NIV).

In a matter of weeks, my lifestyle changed drastically. It’s not that it’s hard, I am just not used to working so much. I had become accustomed to having lots more leisure time and now that spare time is gone.

My youngest child returned to public school. I thought I would have lots more time, but I realize now after three weeks of school that it’s just as much effort as homeschooling (though in a different way with after school activities and homework).

I registered for college classes. The last time I took college classes, it was easy—that was about 15 years ago. I put off college to raise my boys. Now one is on his own, I thought the classes would be easy. What I didn’t consider was the fact that my memory retention isn’t what it used to be. I have to put much more effort into it now. But I quote scripture confessing that I have “the mind of Christ” (1 Cor 2:16) and “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Phil 4:13).

Writing a Bible study and teaching is my greatest passion. I have much more respect for Bible teachers who write their own curriculum as I pour my heart into this project. God’s word is life changing and I pray that those, to whom God allows me to minister, will soak in His Word and allow Him to change their lives.

Then I have the writing and editorial duties. I love it! God is so amazing at how He works through His people. Then I accepted another role as an editorial assistant. (You probably think I’m crazy by now, but I believe it’s my calling to accept.)

I realized with all these activities, it’s easy to become overwhelmed. I felt it last week, and I had to run to Christ—my Rock and Redeemer. We can become overwhelmed physically as well as in our innermost being—our hearts, the soul. I found my rest in Christ where He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-20, NIV).

Only in Jesus, do we find rest and relief from the overwhelming situations. I found it meditating on His word and learning to take time to physically rest. When I tried to be like the Energizer Bunny, I broke down.

Let’s remember to run to the Rock higher than us; run to Jesus in Whom we find rest. He energizes our overwhelmed hearts.

6 gracious comments:

Leah Adams said...

Shonda,

Stay focused on Him and He will lead you in His path. It sounds like you are one busy girl. Take care of yourself and guard your private time with Him and with your hubby.

Leah

Cherdecor said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS! I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO SAY! I was overwhelmed just by reading all that you do! Hahahaha!
You go girl! Remember this, your first responsibility is to your husband. We are living in a day that temptation is so high for men. That is all I have to say about that!
Hugs,
Cheryl

marina said...

I am over whelm just by reading all these LOL!!
hoping you have a nice weekend teaching :) love marina

Anonymous said...

It was so awesome meeting you last night! God is so crazy fun!

It is hard not being overwhelmed with life, but I find God always gives me grace to accomplish what He wants in/through me.

Don't worry about school. It just takes a few months to get the wheels cranking again. You'll be brilliant by Thanksgiving!

I'm so glad we have met. I will treasure getting to know you more!

Connie Arnold said...

Thank you for sharing this post, Shonda. May Jesus continue to strengthen you in all things and help you in all you have to do.

KrippledWarrior said...

The Devil never takes a day off. And if we don't, we'll be just like him. The sabbath was made for man. Not man for the sabbath. The Lord is my rock and my refuge. My sword and my shield...
Be blessed and be a blessing.