Saturday, January 12, 2008

God First

Over this past few weeks I’ve noticed a recurring theme over and over again in myself and a few others I’m in contact with. Here are comments either myself or others have made:

“I wonder why [insert name] hasn’t called me. Did I do something to make her mad at me?”

“I sent an email to [insert name] and I have not got a reply. Why wont she email me back?”

“[Insert name] wont answer the phone. Why wont she speak to me or take my calls?”

“I went shopping and those dressed up ladies looked at me with disgust. I feel ugly and rejected.”

“Why wont more people leave a comment on my blog?”

The longer I entertain these types of thoughts, the more heavy laden and depressed I start to feel. But then I take it to the Lord in prayer.

Matthew 11:28-30 NIV

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

As I seek Him about the situation(s), I’m convicted about what I’m focusing my thoughts on.

Philippians 4:8 NIV

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Am I thinking lovely thoughts? No, I’m thinking thoughts that are depressing and most likely not even true! Perceptions are powerful and can appear to be real when they are actually false. The enemy can and will plant bad thoughts in our minds if we allow it. None of us should entertain ungodly thoughts. Scriptures tell us how to deal with it.

2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

How do we make our thoughts obedient to Christ? As it says in Philippians 4:8 above all, think about the things that are excellent or praiseworthy. What is excellent and praiseworthy? The Word of God. What does God’s word say about me?

It says I am created in His image and likeness. (Genesis 1:27)

It says that those who believe in Jesus are righteous and redeemed. (Romans 3:22-24)

It says we confess our sins we are forgiven. (1 John 1:9)

Let’s look up what God’s Word has to say about us and focus on what HE says.

The other thing I have asked the Lord, in the times these thoughts start to reign in my mind is “What do I need to focus on at this moment?”

Then I will see that I need to exercise, clean the house, read the Word, write an article or work on my book, prepare a lesson or speech, give the children or my husband my undivided attention, and so on and so on.

Am I seeking too much attention from others when God wants to bath me in HIM? Does He deny me the attention of others so perhaps I can focus on those who are in front of me or the task I need to complete? It’s during the times that I’m exercising, cleaning, spending time with my children, or just doing what He wants me to do that He shows me things—either approval or reprove. Either way I’m more the better for focusing on what He wants me to do. Put God first in all things!

Matthew 6:33 NIV

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Blessings in Christ--

10 gracious comments:

Karen H TX said...

Love the new background, can you tell me how you did that? I was trying the other day to change it up a little and was having some troubles. Love your post too...How's school going with the kids? Is your son on track for may graduation still? ttyl Karen

Leah Adams said...

Shonda,

Great post!! I think there is not a person alive who doesn't struggle with thoughts like that. Thanks for reminding us how we can combat them.

Leah
www.thepoint-leah.blogspot.com

annette said...

I like your new look, too. It's neat the way the words are transparent in front of the pic. Very cool. And you are on the mark with comments of self defeat and that we must combat them with whatever is pure, whatever is good, whatever is holy, focus on the good. It does make for a better day and a healthier us. Good post! love you, annie

Anonymous said...

Wow, amen and amen. Seeking Him first has been huge for me this last year. I am so prone to turning to friends and loved ones before Him, now I am reversing that and lo and behold...things go alot smoother. I love my friends and family but He wants all of me first. Thank you for this...you always seem to know right where I am....Smiles! :) Oh, and I love your new background!

Angela Baylis said...

Dearest Shonda,
Thank you for your honesty and realness. It's scary how much I can relate to your post. It was no accident that I popped over here to read it this morning. You are not alone. Maybe it's this time of year. Thank you for sharing the scriptures. I, for one needed to hear them! Someone dear to me reminded me to put God First, Second and Third! Have a great day, dear friend!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

Angela Baylis said...

p.s. Come on by to accept your award from me!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hey, Shonda, very good food for thought. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has those thoughts throughout the week! What book are you working on?

Momma Roar said...

Just blog hopping this morning and I happened by here. I've enjoyed reading some of your other posts as well and I appreciate how you share yourself because I can totally relate. The scriptures you reference really do make me think. Thanks so much!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Hi Shonda! I'm Nicki, I don't think we've ever "met" on the blog world yet, I've seen your comments here and there and I thought....I need to check her out!

This post was so powerful to me....I have had a whole DAY OF "whoa is me"......and it's all been my focus and perspective on everything. Thank you for these words....they were just what I needed tonight!!

Nice to "meet" you! =)

jen said...

Oh girl. How I wish I'd come by here last night. Sigh. You are awesome. I'm saving these thoughts for my quiet time tomorrow morning. Love you Siesta!